Protect your future with
Weinstock Levin
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. blog
  4.  » New Jersey law on underage gambling in Atlantic City

New Jersey law on underage gambling in Atlantic City

On Behalf of | Jun 8, 2017 | blog

You might know Atlantic City for its casinos, but gambling is only a suitable vacation pastime for adults. While in most ways 18-year-olds are legal adults, this does not apply for legally partaking in gambling activities. If your child is not yet 21, then he or she is not yet able to gamble according to New Jersey law.

Breaking this law comes with serious consequences; therefore, you want to avoid your adult child participating in any type of gambling. This starts with knowing the details of the law.

State law on underage gambling

The Casino Control Act outlines the scope of underage gambling as not only including casinos but also horse races and any other facility, tournament or event that entails placing bets. It also prohibits adults from allowing clients under 21 to gamble, so do not think you are safe from the law if you grant permission to or accompany your child.

The consequences of a conviction

It is easy for prosecutors to prove guilt for this crime, so a conviction is very likely. The crime falls under a disorderly persons offense, including for parents who allow their children to gamble. Immediate consequences include:

  • A fine of $500 to $1,000
  • Six-month driver’s license suspension or postponement of issuance
  • Possible jail time
  • A criminal record

In addition, there are the long-term consequences of having a conviction. Furthermore, there are the inconveniences of having to deal with another state’s justice system.

The options you have

If your adult son or daughter faces charges of underage gambling, the most beneficial option is to speak to a New Jersey lawyer. An attorney in Atlantic City knows best the local courts, officials and laws and can represent your child so that neither of you has to travel back to the area. A lawyer can also help minimize the penalties your child may receive in order to protect his or her future.